Are you planning a visit to the French Capital during the month of May and wondering about the Parisian climate? In this article, you will find tips about the weather in Paris in May, what to pack and how to make the most of your stay in the City of Light.
Average Weather in May in Paris
- minimum average temperature in May: 9°C / 48°F
- maximum average temperature in May: 18°C / 64°F
- average rainfall: 65 mm
- average rainy days a month: 12
In May, Paris is usually mild and sunny – ideal conditions for a pleasant stroll through the city, or a spot coffee on the terrace.
Be sure to bring your umbrella though, as the Spring showers make May the month of highest average rainfall.
Although evenings remain generally colder, during Spring sunny spells, the temperature can rise noticeably, making May an excellent month to visit the French Capital.
Parisian rain usually falls as showers, so it can rain several times a day with a few dry breaks in-between. If you are planning a stroll, be advised to avoid wearing warm clothes as temperatures rarely fall lower than 15°C at noon.
read more :
What to pack, what to wear in May in Paris?
You will need to bring a variety of spring clothing, including jackets for cold evenings, but also be prepared for an occasional hot day. You will probably experience both rainy and windy conditions, especially in Paris. Your packing list should include:
- A warm jacket for chilly evenings
- Sweaters or jackets
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- A sturdy umbrella (May can be a showery month for Paris)
- Smart clothes for going out in the evenings
French Public Holidays in May 2018
- May, 1st: Workers Day, almost every museum, monument, shop, and restaurant is closed for the whole day.
- Public holiday activities include visits to Monceau, Luxembourg or Buttes Chaumont Park – or simply exploring the streets of Paris.
- Open on May, 1st: Jacquemart-André Museum, Maillol Museum, Eiffel Tower., Sacré coeur, Notre Dame.
- Closed on May, 1st: Most Museums: The Louvre Museum, Orsay Museum, Carnavalet …
- May, 8th: VE Day: Most museums, shops, and monuments open on Sunday will open
- May, 10th: Ascension: Most museums, shops, and monuments are open
Though they may seem inconvenient at first, public holidays can be the best opportunity to discover Paris districts on foot.
You can discover more about many of the Parisian districts here: Paris districts and neighborhoods.
Things to do in Paris in May
With Springtime, they are many things to do in Paris in May: festivals, excursions… Read our selection of fun activities to do in Paris.
- Museums Night – La Nuit des Musées (The Free Museum Night). Sat. May 19 2018
Museums open up to share in music, theater, food, games, and movies whilst also promoting the city’s tourist attractions as well as their own collections. Art takes over the museum and illuminates the night, inviting visitors to lose themselves in the dream-like atmosphere.
- Go on an excursion to Giverny, Monet’s Gardens and Auvers sur Oise
In May, the Monet’s gardens are bursting with color, making Spring the best season to visit the beautiful village of Giverny where the impressionist lived.
It’s worth knowing you can go and pay tribute to Van Gogh at Auvers sur Oise, where the artist lived his last days, and enjoy the surrounding landscapes which inspired more than 50 of his paintings. This special place was also a highly-appreciated by the founders of impressionism.
- International Paris Fair – La Foire de Paris
from April 27th to May 8th 2018
For over 110 years, the Paris Fair (Foire de Paris) has been presenting innovations, products and also services that allow you to get the most out of your daily life. This year, surprise events and increasing numbers of exhibitors promise to impress visitors and locals alike.
With over 3,500 brands in attendance, this unique European experience allows you to discover, test and compare all of the products and services designed to improve the day-to-day – all in one place! Foire de Paris is a trip to the world’s cultures with an abundance of gourmet food for all tastes.
Foire de Paris may also inspire you to breathe some fresh life into your home, with ideas on construction, renovation, furniture, fireplaces, kitchens, and bathrooms. The fair provides an unparalleled outdoor swimming pool, veranda, and outdoor furniture.
- Jazz Festival at Saint Germain des Près – May 24th to June 14th, 2018
Rooted in the birthplace of European Jazz (where Duke Ellington, Sydney Bechet, and others lived), Saint-Germain des Près Jazz Festival offers unique and exceptional concerts in which collaborations between artists seek the discovery of new talent. This festival also provides conferences and exhibitions in unusual settings.
- Neighborhood Day – La fête des voisins 2018
On May 25, 2018, meet your neighbors in the communal areas or gardens of your building and spend some quality time with one another.
- Take a Walk in Paris’ Most Charming Quarters
With the spring weather, May is one of the best months for a romantic stroll through one of Paris’ Neighborhoods. So, you have the choice between the romantic Montmartre, the trendy Marais, the bohemian Canal Saint-Martin quarter, the lively Latin quarter or the historical Saint-Germain.